- Adrian Frutiger’s Symbols and Signs – Explorations foldout chart
- The works of Richard Saul Wurman, Otto Neurath (hurrah! my old chum Basic English) and Annegrete Moelhave
- John Adams’ 1679 map of road distances between UK towns and villages
- Joseph Priestley’s invention of “charts of biography”
- the unlabelled maps comparing metro networks across the world
Much Googling to be done, frankly, and much else of interest besides, but:
(a) no catalogue!!
(b) as J pointed out, er, didn’t the design of the exhibition (not to mention the dreadful Design Museum website as H has already observed) somewhat let down the premise. A major missed opportunity, given that the structure of the exhibition itself was so blurred.
I also discovered the works of Edward Tufte, which I shall be tracking down, especially his essay about PowerPoint being the death of reason, a long-cherished philosophy of mine.